This reading was difficult to do, because every other paragraph it made me think of something I wanted to do on Facebook.
From a networking standpoint, I have always like Facebook because it is in many cases literally a book of faces. For groups, organizations and networks getting to know each other, not only can you speak at a "virtual water cooler" but also "begin putting faces with names" (Neville 12-13). Unlike sites such as Myspace and blogs like Tumblr and Blogspot, Facebook users often put up actual photos of themselves. This makes the transition between virtual and reality much easier.
"Cases of financial censorship have also been well documented, especially when student government officials are given control over student media budgets" (Filak and Reinardy 16). Although in my experience WPRK has never been censored via our budget, I do feel that the lack of connection we as a Director Staff have with our own budget has and continues to be a problem. While as Business Director of going on 3 years, I have figured out many of the processes such as check request, cash transmittal, and petty cash request. The disconnect between our Rollins leadership (OSIL) and us at Director Staff has been apparent for many years, and I feel that if this is not fixed, WPRK may face things like censorship simply because of the disconnect between student staff and OSIL.
Absolutely. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely. :-)
ReplyDelete