Two things stuck out to me while reading the article in Campus Media Review, which focused more on the campus newspaper side than other forms of campus media.
The first was the importance of the connections to people in the organization; good connections also make recruiting much easier. For WPRK, however, I feel this is something we need to work on. We have a couple of people who leave our director staff bitter that they did not get the position they wanted, or felt that others ganged up on them or were simply rude. We have a lot of drama at the station, and I feel that this limits our potential to connect well to other students and teachers around campus.
The second is our space. The director staff office we have at WPRK really represents our alternative nature as a station, and draws in people, especially those who are interested in music. Our CD library always impresses guests. I feel that the more we can get people down to the station, the more people are going to be interested in staying with the station and getting involved.
I completely agree on both counts, Leah. The space is an essential component, and is one that is rarely if even truly used to maximize the station's visibility. And drama is of course one of the worst things about any student org, and WPRK is no exception. I think things will be better with the new system, though...thoughts on that?
ReplyDeleteOops, nevermind...sorry I knew this was you, Amanda. I just saw that Leah's subscribed and it stayed in my head. :-)
ReplyDelete